Re: Collographs and Group Lessons

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 19:46:50 PDT

In a message dated 9/17/02 10:43:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
imaniyo@hotmail.com writes:

> What polymer medium do you use for collographs to seal them?
> Does anyone have a lesson plan on collographs you are willing to share?

When I finish the collograph with gluing objects to a stiff back board, I
give the whole thing a coat of Gesso. When that is dry I give it a coat of
white glue and water to thin slightly so that it creates a hard shell. When
that dries give it a coat of Krylon Crystal Clear to seal it and make it
shiny. the shiny surface will wipe off nicely.

As for a design idea I use the concept of the Japanese Kimono as a start.
Take the parts of the Kimono such as the sleeves, body, belt, collar, etc.,
and use them as an area for textures. We look at a few pictures of Kimonos
and then they design their own using the areas for adding the different
collograph techniques that are used and when printed look very cool. They
can also go in with colored pencil to give some color to it and if done
lightly will be almost like watercolor.

Ken Schwab
p.s. I have a handout on this with pictures and such that would be a better
explanation of this if you want it.

---