Re: Tough following some homeroom environments!

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 04:31:16 PDT

on 9/17/02 8:12 PM, Larry Seiler at lseiler@EZ-NET.COM wrote:

> I brought my second graders outside yesterday. A beautiful day in the
> northwoods of Wisconsin. My intention was to gather the darlings together,
> look at a number of different trees and observe their structures and how
> they differ. To see as an artist sees and how LINE can be used expressively
> to capture the feeling of different trees.

larry, i saw what was coming after reading this far! LOL. i once took an
immature class of 1st graders outside to do the same...they ran helter
skelter in seconds. the next day, with another group, i improved the lesson.
before they came i tied a piece of yarn around each of 6 different trees -
the yarn was color coordinated with the colors of my tables. then i gave the
kids the task of finding the tree with the yarn of their table color and
draw everything they saw on the tree including ants, squirrels, spiders,
bird nests, etc. i also gave each group a plastic magnifying glass to look
up close and personal at the bark and bugs. it was like they were stuck to
their trees. worked out much better the second time!
linda in michigan

---