Re: wish lists

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 16 2002 - 14:53:23 PDT

Ricardo- this is an excellent idea!!!!!!!!! can I please have a copy of your brochure for curiousity's sake? Then I'll work on my own! Thanks for sharing!!!
Jancy In Ohio
 Ricardo Ramirez wrote:A week before open house I sent a brochure home with the students that
included a wish list and list of things the art department could use. I
thought that I would put to use the information I learned from Intel
teach to the future.
I prepared a powerpoint presentation from the previous year to play
continously throughout the open house evening. I placed on the wall the
wish list. I used colorful construction paper cut into small rectangles
to list each item. I placed a big and brilliant bow to get the parents'
attention. Cheesey, yet it worked. When I met the parents, I tried to
stay near the powerpoint presentation and the wish list. Many parents
took the items off the wall and said that they would handle it. Others
saw the list on the brochures and said they had it laying around the
house. I sold the art program that night!
Open house was in the second week of school. During the fourth week
of school, the art deparment had four new easels, two scanners, a
digital and polaroid camera, a ladder, a slide projector and
approximately 336 dollars donated to the art program for the art club
and the remaining wish items. We also received about 60 10"x8" wood
squares for clay projects,and mounds of miscellaneous items such as
yarn, fabrics, buttons, beads,etc.! I have planned to do a wish list
annually for the rest of my teaching career!
Make sure to send thank you cards with a business card (my school
provided the business cards and mailed all the letters) Send to
everyone that donated something no matter how big or small the
donation!

If you want a copy of the brochure which was printed in black and white
and let me know. Parents want to see what their children will be able
to produce and they want to know how to help you out! Let them know and
don't be afraid to toot your horn!!

>>> Mbhirst@aol.com 09/13/02 04:49PM >>>
Do any of you other high school art teachers have "Wish Lists" that you

distribute to parents? I am preparing one for Open House next week and
would
be interested in your ideas.
Thanks in advance,

Marcia