Re: one on the pantyhose sculpture

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 15:24:49 PDT

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>Okay,
>Can anyone tell me if they have attempted to harden the panty hose sculpture?
>I have put two coats of gesso on this puppie and it's still flexible. Can
>they be hardened without a lot of extra work? Also, how about some finishing
>ideas without the use of spray paint (don't want to get into that)
>
>thanks,
>mike sacco

I have had weird results on the pantyhose sculptures when I used gesso. Now, I
am one who coats the hose with glue before painting- regular Elmer's, straight
out of the bottle. This dries and makes them hard, and that helps my kids when
it's time to paint color on. They have an easier time controlling the brush
when the sculpture doesn't flex. When I used a gesso layer after the glue, the
stuff turns flexible again. It's not as flexible as the hose to start with,
but it is rubbery. It's a mystery to me why this happens. I have noticed that
stretched canvases primed with acrylic gesso are a little rubbery too.
Anyway, it isn't a problem, the rubbery sculptures are less likely to crack if
dropped.

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---