Re: Awesome bird painter discovery! Chris Witkowski

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 12:55:05 PDT

Do you have a projector for your room? Or Dept? Did you write a grant? We have one for the school, but it has to stay in the computer lab. I'm trying to think of ways to get funding for one for the art dept, but they are so incredibly expensive!
Jancy
 linda
wrote:HI all,
I'm so in love with making power points since I got my projector.
KIds are loving them, and I can't tell you how pleasant it is to have
everyone looking at the same pic big on the same screen at the same time.
NO upside down across the table images, no holding things up in a circle
or walking around the table to let kids see something up close...it's in
your face ART on the wall. I made a new one the other day for my 2nd
graders who paint tempera birds (TOO WONDERFUL) and then go into a clay
project where they make a clay birds nest and bird/eggs/babies, on a
branch with whatever else they want to put on it. My new PP is called
"Painting Birdies", and I showed Audobon, and several other more obscure
painters of birds that had wonderful images. While surfing around the net
looking for "Bird Painters" I discovered a wonderful artist, new to me,
named Chris Witkowski. I'm sorry I can't cut and paste the URL right now,
as I am on my lazy, still in bed, Saturday morning in artsednet on webtv,
propped up on pillows. Web tv is great for surfing, but not so great for
cut and paste of URLs. ANyway just type Chris Witkowski in a search and
you will find her easily. Her birds are surreal and dreamlike. Big,
incredible use of light/color/texture, and full of surprises. THe kids
LOVED them, especially the one of the really fat chick on the beach. They
ALL wanted to say something about these paintings, and we have been
referring to them from memory now that they ae painting. THey really
remember what they saw. LOok her up. You won't be sorry. Beautiful
landscapes, too.