Fun Art History/Language Arts/Social Studies lesson

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 12:12:48 PDT

In my Instructor magazine this month the Masterpiece of the Month was
Norman Rockwell's Marbles Champion. Our current writing lesson in a
narrative, and it fit right. I typed up the brief biography and posted
it next to the poster. Using both the biography and internet sources I
wrote up a list of "thinking questions" with no right or wrong answers
but requiring higher level thinking to answer. For our "Tech Friday"
lesson in the computer lab, students saved the document to their floppy
disk in the classroom. When we went to the lab, they opened the
document. They accessed the web pages by clicking on the links in the
Word document. Then they typed their answers into the document. The kids
were so excited when we got back to the classroom. They had many facts
and many opinions about what they had seen and read. They got into an
argument about some facts in his biography, and went back to the sources
for proof. Many of the asked for their narrative plans back, and
reworked them inspired by what they had learned. We are going to
continue next Friday.

Kimberly

"At times you may end up far away from home. You may not be sure of
where you belong anymore. Home is always there. It's wherever your
passion takes you" Sheridan to David Babylon 5 "Objects at Rest"

---