Re: college/high school program

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 11:15:48 PDT

Barbara,

An idea I used that the college students (Jr. & Senior art ed.
students in my case) and my students really got involved with was a
drawing assignment that was an exchange. Both groups did the same
assignment then traded work. The next lesson involved critique. Both
groups of students made a critique of the work of the other and were
excited to see how a different age group approached the same
assignment.

With my 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders I added an additional lesson. Each
separate class assumed the role of the jury for an art show and
selected as a group 5 pieces from the work of the college group. They
first set up the criteria and then discussed and discussed and
discussed the selection. We kept records of the criteria and the
final selection from all the classes and made a chart. From this I
hoped they would begin to understand the decision process of a jury
selection and how different the outcome could be depending on the
opinion of the members of the jury. Each class had a different
selection of "winners"

I wanted them to understand that when their work is not selected for a
contest or show outside of school that it is not a judgement of their
art work - just a selection of a few judges who have to accept a
limited number of pieces limited by the criteria. I wanted to offer
support for entering competitions and the disappointment of being
rejected which is so much a part of the art world.

The drawing assignment was from my student teacher at the college.
From bags marked nouns, adjectives, verbs and adverbs each child
pulled out 4 words and combined them to create the art work. ....for
example a tall bug danced smoothly.

when the college class visited the school my students were very
familiar with their art work and the college students had a good look
at many ways children can interpret an idea.