Re: artsednet digest: September 11, 2002

---------

From: Rodney (rboville_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 04:49:30 PDT

RE: legally blind student. Do you have an adaptive arts curiculum? Our
severly handicapped children are not obligated to fulfull the reg. ed.
curriculum. Last night I patched 1 eye and tried to do a drawing project 2-3
inches away from my face and it was unbelievabley difficult. Perhaps you
could do some perspective exercises using a dotted line and then enlarge
them on the copying machine and have her trace over in a solid line. Some
execises where she will feel successful and have the art "experience" that
you are teaching. It sounds like you will have to modify the plans you teach
from to fit her needs. Teach to the majority, but change her assignment. See
if there is an advocate from some community group that could work with
her(not for her) during the art class. Having worked with some visually
impaired children, I know that she will do well with paper mache', etc,
highly textural things. And just adapt her lesson plans to meet her needs.
There are some good books available. Ask your administrator to "pop" for
them. I have a 1/2 hour adaptive class with 6 of my low functioning kids to
work on things they are extremly low in, like everything, that way when they
come in the mainstreamed reg. ed group I don't feel as guilty if I am not
teaching to them and they are not as successful. They try and put forth some
effort.With the adaptive group an OT that visits the school comes with this
group and works with me.Good luck! Barbara in Green Bay

---