sept. 11

---------

From: Kerry L Murphy (klmvisarts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 19:29:20 PDT

I dreaded teaching on this day. Last year I was brand new to teaching at the high school level, and that was such a difficult time. This year we commemorated the day by communicating our thoughts visually in mixed media. Most students created a collage, many text and image, some did a drawing--all works had a powerful aspect to them. I was truly blown away by the intensity, variety and depth of view points expressed, and by our introductory conversation. Many were distressed by what they saw as the commercial aspect of the anniversary--leading to an introduction to Barbara Kruger. Others felt patriotic. Some synthesized their knowledge of world events through the creation of a visual image...WOW! What a moving day it turned out to be. Today many students finished up and matted their works. The work was so strong. Best of all it was an opportunity to connect with new students on a deep level so soon into the new year.
Kerry

---