Chalk marbelizing--see it demonstrated at the KAEA conference!

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 18:53:22 PDT

I will be demonstrating this Chalk Marbelizing/Star Book technique as part
of the Kaleidoscope of Bookmaking, organized by Rosie Riordan, Friday
afternoon, 3:30-4:15 pm at the Kansas Art Education Association 2002 fall
conference, Wichita, Oct. 24-26. See our online preregistration materials
at:
http://www.kaea.com/conference.asp

Everybody I have shared this with--kids and adults--think chalk marbelizing
is magic. I learned how to do it at the Prang booth at one of the NAEA
conferences a few years ago. According to Prang you have to use their
Ambrite chalk. I have also found that Crayola drawing chalk works fine.
But not all chalks--for example sidewalk chalk--will work. It has to be a
soft, highly pigmented chalk. Just try what you have available. Different
brands of white construction paper can also make a difference.

1. You set up a tray of water--I have one station for every two students,
they take turns. We get our trays from hospital supply sources.
Apparently, medical supplies come in these wonderful little trays.
(Actually, I got mine from Arts Partners--they got them from a hospital, I
think.) I put about an inch of water in the tray.

2. Kids scrape across the stick of chalk with a popsicle stick to make
chalk dust float on the paper. I usually have them use analogous colors.
Then they stir very gently with a "spork" from the cafeteria. One student
stirred up a "froth" and wondered why his looked grey! Then float a piece of
white construction paper on the water, peel it off and lay on a carrier
paper to dry. Next you can take a "ghost" which is a pastel version of your
previous marbeling print and actually looks more like traditional
marbelizing. The first one has a grainy, but not objectional texture.

3. After they dry you need to cover the carrier sheets with something flat
and heavy to flatten them out.

4. We use these marbelized sheets to make a star book on the theme of I
Love You Mom (Caregiver) for a Mother's Day gift, which we start by the end
of February. They were quite a hit! We also did some this summer at a
teacher institute on Architecture in the Community: Exploring the
Neighborhood co-sponsored by Wichita State University and Arts Partners.
Our participants shared what they learned about architectural styles by
making a star book with chalk marbelized pages in neutral colors. The
results were beautiful.

I hope you have as much fun with this as I have.

Marcia Scurfield,
Derby, KS

---