Re: Art History book

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 08:04:04 PDT

Daniela wrote:

> I have been looking for a good Art History book that would cover from cave
> paintings to contemporary art. This one would be for my personal
> reference, so I would like to find something that would elaborate a little
> more then College art history, or humanities books.. Does anyone have a
> book that would call a MUST-HAVE-ART-HISTORY-BOOK for any artist!?!?!?!

Daniela,

I adore E.H. Gombrich's The Story of Art. It is fun to just read--it's
not dry and academic--and has lots of interesting, sometimes gossipy,
tidbits. I use these tidbits to pique the students' interest during
slide discussions. The color reproductions in the last edition are
gorgeous. The retail price was around $60 several years ago (but I
bought it from the publisher at their NAEA booth for half price). This
is a book I keep at home for myself; the students will never lay their
hands on it!

Maggie

---