Re: gifted arts elem. - direction

---------

From: Dianna Mammone (dndmammone_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 05:43:12 PDT

Hi Kelly.
I teach art in various settings and at the Gifted
Child Society. I have been through lots of training
with them as well. They offer a great "professionals"
conference every other year with many guest speakers
from around the world. Educators and publishers also
come and show and sell us the hotest materials for
teaching.
   One book that might help is called, "teaching the
gifted" by horowitz. I'll look it up for certain
when I go to the studio. At Gited child we focus on
"anylisis, process, synthesis." I am going to two big
training workshops at the end of the month. I will
try and copy and send some materials to you , if you
are interested.
   I find that a lot of gifted kids do think more
critically, so I have to "cut to the chase" with them.
 If we are doing a study of Van gogh, Either the kids
will look up the background or I will make it a short
biography. They seem to be able to get right into
things like complimentery pairs, symbolism, the use of
circles in his work, ets. It doesn't take them long
to synthesis and get right into analysis.
Hope this helps some, Diannabanana