Re: Projects on the topic of water

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 21:00:49 PDT

In a message dated 09/12/2002 11:32:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bicyclken@aol.com writes:

> Reflections, what can they see in a water reflection? Maybe set up some
> bowls of water and have them look inside and draw what they see? I'm not
> an elementary teacher so I maybe a little to advanced with this idea but if
> you can adapt it to what you think they can do the maybe reflections is a
> start.

Oh, Ken, that reminds me of several lessons: My favorite is based on Monet's
water lillies- do it as a mural or individually. I know my lesson is in the
archives. Another is based upon Matisse's Goldfish painting as an
inspiration. I do it as a wax resist- craypas/water color lesson in first
grade. Begin with two ovals, parallel to each other, and show the kids how
to attach the with them to form a fishbowl. The top oval is painted yellow
in matisse's painting, so I ask the kids why. They come up with the answer
that the water is reflecting light.
Aother idea is to fold a peice of paper in half., so that the fold is
horizontal. On the top half, draw a scene with a #2 or soft pencil, which
includes a lake or a pond. Fold paper in half and rub to get a mirror image.
Unfold and use watercolors to paint lighter colors for the reflection in the
lake/pond on the bottom half and brighter, opaque colors for the upper part.
Susan on Long Island

---