Re: Totem poles

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 20:18:38 PDT

In a message dated 09/12/2002 10:16:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
flegman@comcast.net writes:

> Since our kindergarteners study Native American Indians I was thinking of an
> art project involving totem poles. Does anyone have an idea for a
> cooperative project where each child could create part of the totem pole
> (perhaps using a box) which could then be all connected. I know that this
> project needs to be culturally sensitive.

I use the inner cardboard tubing that carpets are wrapped around. Go to your
local carpet store or recycling center for one. They can be sawed into one
foot long pieces. Paper, paper mache- anything, can be easily attached after
the kids have painted them. Stack the finished totem on a soccer goal (or is
it a volley ball net end- I don't remember)- it's a weighted pole that is
used in gym.
Hope this helps.
Susan on Long Island

---