Re: Totem poles

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 20:06:14 PDT

Another idea is to use PVC pipe as the base. Build around the cans but then
slide them over the pole. My parents went on a cruise to Alaska last year
and one thing that really stuck with them was if you put a face on a totem
pole and put it upside down then that person did you wrong in life. It would
be fascinating to learn the meanings behind the different symbols. :-)
~Michal

> Use large soup or coffee cans. As you said, each child can design
> his/her own totem, say six to eight in a group for each pole. The cans
> can then be taped together and displayed. Put some sand, or other
> weight, in the bottom can for stability.

---