RE: Totem poles

---------

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 20:39:34 PDT

Fran,

Use large soup or coffee cans. As you said, each child can design
his/her own totem, say six to eight in a group for each pole. The cans
can then be taped together and displayed. Put some sand, or other
weight, in the bottom can for stability.

As regards "culturally sensitive", fine, then use the artwork of the
Lenni Lenape (or, Delaware). "Lenni Lenape" translates as "the Original
People".

Lawrence A. Parker
Philosopher and Educational Consultant

---