Re: Art History Lessons

---------

From: Daniela (brendanian_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 18:37:48 PDT

> Maggie,
> Currently I need some neat lessons for Prehistoric Art, Egyptian Art,
> Greek art, and Roman Art History. I'd appreciate your help! I am thinking
> for Prehistoric art about taking the students (senoirs) on a "treasure hunt"
> through the virtual caves of Lascaux and Chauvet. Do you think this is a
> good idea?
>
> Joy

> Hi Joy,
I hope I am not too late to answer your message!!!!

A few years ago I was working at an artist's art studio in Brasil as a
teacher assistant and he gave his students the neatest lesson on
Prehistoric paintings!!! His students were also senior students, so I
think it would fit right in for you.

He started explaining the materials used for prehistoric paitings and the
techniques they used to produce them... then he provided the students with
all sort of vegetables, weeds and plants, dirt and mud, spices etc... any
thing that the students could make a pigment out of by either crushing and
staining, or rubbing it on the base... they also made a sort of "Natural
color wheel" with all pigments they found...
It was quite an impressive work and I will never forget it. I am sure his
students won't either.
I've used the same idea with my students a couple of time and they LOVE
the hands on history idea!!!

This would also go together with your idea of the treasure hunt!!!

I hope this helps

Take care and good luck!

Let us know how it went

Daniela