wire sculpture

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 14:33:36 PDT

I use telephone wire .When our new building was being wired I asked the
phone guy for scraps. He gave me a fat wire that had a plastic covering.
When you strip it you have about 50 beautifully colored wires of just
the right gauge. I cut them about 3 feet long. I used that for three
years and then put it in my request letter. A parent brought in a big
bundle this year already stripped and cut into 3 feet pieces. The first
phone guy warned me not to let them make jewelry with the wire because
it doesn't break and if they were wearing a necklace or bracelet and it
gets caught on something it could cut or choke them. But for wire
sculpture it works great. I also have a supplier for scrap mat board
and the kids mount their gesture sculpture on the mat board.
             Jeryl in SC

---