Youth Art Month awards

---------

From: Judy Nagel (jdnag_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 06:02:30 PDT

Hi All, I just returned from a meeting where we did the judging for the
Youth Art Month state books. I thought you might be interested in the
results. The Grand Award winner is New Jersey. Other honorees are Award of
Excellence winners: Georgia, West Virginia and Tennessee. Awards of Merit
will be presented to: Oregon, California, Alabama, Louisiana and Ohio. A
special recognition award will go to Oklahoma. All winners will receive a
"goodie bag" which contains many vendor products and a certificate stating
the award. If Christine Besack's ears were tingling this week, it was
because all good things were being said about the demonstration she and her
students did in PA last year. (Remember she was in a panic about what to do
on short notice and asked for some suggestions?) Whatever they did, it was
really appreciated. Judging the submissions was a difficult task and one we
took very seriously. Members of the Board of Directors for the Council for
Art Education/Youth Art Month were the judges. We also have representatives
from the teaching profession on the panel. The work that is being done
across the states is awe inspiring. I won't go on and on but if anyone is
undertaking the chairperson role at the state level and would like some
helpful hints, I would be happy to give my input. It looks like you were
all busy this week since I have a "bunch" of e mails to read. I traveled to
Boston and the airports were like ghost towns. There were more security
personnel than passengers at Logan airport. Milwaukee was similar. Thanks
to all who were thinking kind thoughts to get Dick and I home safely. It
worked!
Judy Nagel
Sax Arts & Crafts
jdnag@elknet.net