Re: Rolling Requiem

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 09:21:39 PDT

We all wore red white and blue, I wore a T-shirt I designed this summer for a local club with the Edith Cavell quote "I realize that patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone."

As soon as we finished our morning opening, we had a long long poem read over the intercom that was mostly about how when you tell somebody you love them and go off to work, they might die. Then we saw a video about 9/11 ,
which was very professionally produced by a teacher and her husband and some students, with lots of country music and a long garth brooks song about how, when you tell somebody you love goodbye for the day, they might go off
and die. It ends with a rather too worshipful still photo of Dubya for what seemed like several minutes. My kids were deeply grateful we didn't "discuss our feelings". They had the opportunity to do patriotic drawings if
they desired, before and after the lesson.