Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Teaching art to a legally blind student

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 07:27:21 PDT

clay is probably one of the most "appropriate" material for blind
students. they can feel the shapes, forms, and textures they create.
Touch, hearing, and smell are the most dominant senses for them. Use
materials which have strong points in those areas. Smelly markers will
help for color choices. Various fabrics and things with textures. Art
is so much more than just sight!
have fun

>>> 09/25/01 03:33PM >>>
I have a student in 5th grade who is legally blind. She can see
with her left eye if objects are about 1 inch away from her face. She
very little peripheral vision, so she must move things across her face
order to get a look at all of it. In trying to have her fulfill the
curriculum, I am having a hard time developing appropriate activities
her. Fifth graders need to develop an understanding of value and
and 2 point perspective, for instance. Any hints, suggestions or
appropriate reference materials that anyone can recommend?
Robin in PA