Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: artsednet digest: September 10, 2002

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 11 2002 - 04:18:13 PDT

on 9/11/02 2:00 AM, ArtsEdNet Talk digest at

> hi!
> can you all please share your favorite sites for art from non-european sources
> (is that the right way to say that)? what i'd really love is a site which has
> art from lots of different people/places: native people, islamic,
> central/south american, african, asian...
> thanks a bunch! happy VOTING day!
> wendy
Here is a wide variety of resources that you might find useful:

Multicultural Resources

20th Century Fijian Art:

African Art:

African Art - Aesthetics and Meaning:

(see Adult / Community Learners)

Art Trails Through Victoria's Regional Galleries:
This site is designed and maintained by Australian Museums OnLine.

Asian Art Links:
Asia for Educators

Visual Sourcebook for Chinese Civilization =20

Time Asia information

Asia news and information

Marco Polo

Oklahoma Consortium for Teaching About Asia

Japanese tea ceremonies

Castles of Japan

Web Kids Japan

Chicana and Chicano Space:
A thematic, inquiry-based art education resource for middle-school and high
school students covering Chicana and Chicano art and culture.

Children of the Clay:

Crossing Boundaries - Bali, A Window to Indonesian Art:

Fa'asamoa: The Samoan Way - Samoan Culture:

Frida Kahlo & Contemporary Thoughts:

Heard Museum:

Islamic Arts and Architecture:

Kyoto National Museum:

Maori Art:

Modern and Contemporary Cultural Creation
- Hellenic Ministry of Culture

National Museum of African Art:

National Museum of the American Indian:

PapaInk: The International Gallery of Children's Art:
An amazing resource and unique tribute to the oft under-recognized value
of children's art, PapaInk archives and makes available works that
otherwise certainly would have been overlooked by everyone but the
creators and their immediate loved ones. Founded in 1999 with a mission
of preserving and posting children's artwork, PapaInk has grown in
significance and status ever since. Serving as a crossroads for art
sharing and appreciation, the site features several collections, some
arranged by theme, others by artists or gallery.

Pottery by Maria Martinez:

Portals to the World:
This site references a growing number of countries around the world,
incorporating text and images from each. Searches on a variety of topics
can conducted in each country listed.

Pueblo Pottery - New Mexico (commercial site):

Samoan Art:

The Sport of Life and Death: The Mesoamerican Ballgame:

Surrounded by Beauty - Native American art and culture:

Teaching Tolerance:
Publications helpful with promoting diversity in the classroom

Tribal Art: