Re: Why teach Perspective Drawing

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 17:24:27 PDT

At 07:55 PM 9/10/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Just a question my 7th grade students like to ask.. alot. What do I tell
>them? I haven't been able to come up with a good answer.
>Wayne S

Wayne,
Here are three reasons to learn perspective that come to mind.

1. It is true that not all drawing is about realism and not all drawing
requires perspective. Good drawing is about being expressive and
evocative. Rendering in correct perspective can be a good way for a
drawing to be convincing. Even incorrect perspective, when knowingly used
to get a response and can be very effective. When you know it, you can be
violated with authority.

2. Planning is another very important purpose for drawing. When I plan a
house for somebody, some clients need a near photographic perspective
presentation rendering in order to visualize it. When I designed jewelry,
I always made photo realistic drawings before crafting in gold. Good
perspective drawing allows us to visualize all kinds of imagined things
before they exist in order to decide if they are worth making.

3. Most seventh graders have beem pulled in to computer games. Computer
games use perspective to pull you into the action. They can play the games
without knowing perspective, but in a few years they might want to become
the game developers themselves. The programers and game designers would be
quite handicapped if they were not visually able to see perspective
mistakes when developing their games.

Marvin Bartel, Ed.D
Goshen College, Art Department
phone 574.533.0171 studio
Goshen IN 46526
fax 574.535.7660
e-mail: marvinpb@goshen.edu
www.bartelart.com
"Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do!"
        --- Edgar Degas, painter
"Teaching art is easy when don't know how, but takes some effort when you
do!"
        --- Marving Bartel, art teacher

---