"Western" and pioneer art projects

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 16:48:04 PDT

The year that our school had a Western theme I did several different
projects. Fifth grade painted a large page with red mud (we have plenty
of that in SC) It made a great textural background. Then drew and
painted a still life arrangement on the background. I used horse
blankets, rope, boots, cowboy hats,, etc. They painted with black, and
earth tone temperas. They turned out great and one is in our permanent
collection. We studied Remington and borrowed one of his horse sculpture
from somewhere and one grade made horses from clay and painted them with
shoe polish after they were fired. Kdg. sponge painted with cactus and
hat and boot shaped sponges ( made patterns) First grade did landscapes
and we sprinkled sand in the wet paint, later they drew and cut out
dessert animals ( they loved doing a spiral cut snake) Fourth grade did
large flowers with chalk on black paper. They drew the flowers with
white chalk and then chose 3 colors of chalk and filled in each petal
the same, then they blend in one direction on each petal with their
thumb. They turn out really great, the blending makes the petal look so
realistic. I probably have digital pics of most of these projects if it
would help.
         Jeryl in SC

---