Re: perspective

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 08:08:00 PDT

I don't belabor perspective, but I use it to increase the kids'
perception of how we see space and distance. We talk a lot about all the
different ways we use to show that something is farther away. We
identify those ways in our art history work, and whether or not the
artist chose to use those rules. It
is also a helpful indicator for them to be able to identify and to
compare
Western and non-Western art. It is also an important concept to have a
grasp of in looking at early Renaissance. We spend a lot of time
learning about vertical
placement, size, atmospheric perspective, etc. And now they have started
noticing those things out in the real world. It's like a "wow! this
weekend I saw how small and farther up and bluer the trees were on the
"way on the other side of
the lake side of the lake!"

---