RE: middle school perspective

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 05:32:14 PDT

This is a wonderful idea Becky. I have used sticky notes to provide my own
comments allowing time for "fix-up," but your idea is better. Students
seem to attend to what is written more than what you just tell them.
Christa

At 06:56 AM 9/10/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I have just come up with a critique system that seems to be working really
well. I have the projects due on a certain date in the morning. All day,
the students can walk around with sticky notes (first 5-10 minutes of
class) and place comments on the work. At the end of the day, the students
are to come after school for 20 minutes to have a group critique. I then
give them two days to take home their sticky note comments, make
corrections to the work and complete an evaluation. I do guide the
students through the end of the day critique but am training my more
advanced ones to take it on. We basically just talk about what is working,
what needs to be improved and then have an open forum for students who are
"stuck. Yesterday, we had a critique and every student with the exception
of four took home their work to complete. The students themselves pointed
out that work that looked "undone" was not a good presentation and that
most needed to spend more time. The work is now due back Wednesday AM with
the sketchbook to grade their planning.
>I will let you know how many spent more time to complete their work
properly and without haste.
>This is for advanced through AP students but I plan on doing it with
freshman as well. I tell them it is to their advantage to participate as
it will help them get a better grade.

>Becky in NC

the students spend 3 to 5 days on the same projects.
>Any ideas to get these guys into quality work from within ? Tomorrow I'm
going to give these freshmen cube designs to make and then draw from.
>Carolyn at Tahoe

yet, to come up with a good answer....
> Wayne S

video called "Adventures in Perspective." It's kinda funky, kinda 70's,
but simple and excellent.

> In sixth grade I have them draw a house, three trees, three people, a
sidewalk or road, a vehicle, and a sky and ground. We talk about these
pre-drawings. I ask them questions about common perspective mistakes I see
often. I say things like "who has everything lined up on a line? who has
things floating in the sky that you don't want to have floating in the sky?
 etc. They do understand that these things look out of place. I show them
simplified overlapping, size relationship, and other simplified versions of
perspective. After some instruction, we do another drawing similar to the
first, but this time with corrections. They understand.

> In seventh grade, we look at an overhead of cubes around a vp. Then
they build a cube from a template. They hold the paper cube at eye level,
to the right, above, etc. We compare the overhead with the actual cube.
They draw cubes around a vp. They can do this, but some of the kids who
are not developmentally ready cannot draw transparent cubes. I ask all
kids to draw cubes in 8 positions around a vp. Most kids can do this. If
kids really "get it," I challenge them to draw transparent cubes. We then
draw "secret cities" (got the cool idea from a web site.) We also learn
about watercolor techniques when we paint the secret cities. Lots of ways
to use perspective, and they look good for displays, too.

> 8th grade. We review one point perspective. Most kids can draw
transparent cubes around a vanishing point. If I have a student who missed
7th grade art with me, I ask for non-transparent cubes. We build cubes
from templates. We do still life with the stacked and arranged cubes in
groups. We study value, form, perspective, etc. using the cubes. I also
use direct light sources for each table. We continue with perspective when
we do our figure drawing unit. I vary my lessons for 8th grade, but they
get the same objectives.

> I've found that I really had to work to find the right combination of
concepts and assignments to make it challenging, yet within their reach (es?)