RE: middle school perspective

---------

From: Rebecca Stone-Danahy (RebeccaStoneDanahy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 03:56:24 PDT

I have just come up with a critique system that seems to be working really well. I have the projects due on a certain date in the morning. All day, the students can walk around with sticky notes (first 5-10 minutes of class) and place comments on the work. At the end of the day, the students are to come after school for 20 minutes to have a group critique. I then give them two days to take home their sticky note comments, make corrections to the work and complete an evaluation. I do guide the students through the end of the day critique but am training my more advanced ones to take it on. We basically just talk about what is working, what needs to be improved and then have an open forum for students who are "stuck. Yesterday, we had a critique and every student with the exception of four took home their work to complete. The students themselves pointed out that work that looked "undone" was not a good presentation and that most needed to spend more time. The work is now due back Wednesday AM with the sketchbook to grade their planning.
I will let you know how many spent more time to complete their work properly and without haste.
This is for advanced through AP students but I plan on doing it with freshman as well. I tell them it is to their advantage to participate as it will help them get a better grade.

Becky in NC