Re: Blending values

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (mtucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 05:14:32 PDT

At 11:53 PM 9/9/02 -0400, you wrote:
>And on that note, I question how important it is to teach perspective. I
>always found the lesson to be a chore and a stumbling block for those kids
>that just couldn't get the concept.

Pat

I can tell you are an extremely thoughtful teacher. For your own personal
work--would you have done it as well if you hadn't been taught concepts
thought of years ago? Is it possible that those artists who have reacted
against Western concepts wouldn't have had vision without the original
concept?

Yes, the stuff I teach might be technologically out-dated. That doesn't
mean it's irrelevant. I have yet to find a computer program which makes my
soul sing as much as watercoloring, or drawing, or sculpting.

I started the original thread on perspective Saturday morning because I
felt so frustrated that the 7th grade transfer students weren't getting it.
 Now I have to counter that all the 8th graders are, except the one with a
work ethic issue. The 7th graders who didn't get it were given adaptations
and for the most part succeeded (one brave kid said no the adaptation and
succeeded!). Maybe that's the scariest thing about being an art teacher:
defining success.
Maggie Tucker

mtucker@nashville.com

---