Re: Blending values

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 21:23:04 PDT

robinsj@dejazzd.com writes:

> For several years I allowed students to use tortillions only to find that
> they relied on them so much that their value range was only showing middle
> grays. It didn't matter how frequently I reminded them to use a variety of
> lights/darks. For the past two years I told students that they must only
> use pressure differences and different value pencils to achieve a full
> range of values. No "crutch" like a tortillion could be used. I know that
> all people like to shade different ways and I do encourage this by showing
> samples, but I guess that I am just asking for any opinions from the
> experts.

I have my art 1 students right now in fact, use paper towels and tortillons
to softly bring out the lightest values in a gradation. They use it once in
the area and then follow up with more layers using a scumbling motion with a
darker/softer pencil. I find that if they are shown to not over do it the
majority will not. However, you must be diligent to remind them of this and
then in subsequent drawings they will use it properly.

Ken Schwab

---