Western cowboy unit

---------

MPBC90_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 20:31:20 PDT

What about Frederic Remington! Here is a blip bio on him...hope it helps.
MP in NY
--Few artists of the American West could equal the breadth of experience of
FREDERIC SACKRIDER REMINGTON (1861-1909). From the Santa Fe Trail to the
Oregon Trail, he came to possess firsthand knowledge as a rancher, a military
scout, a hunter and trapper, and as a reporter. Few of his contemporaries
were equally devoted to capturing that particular historical moment, the
three brief decades that saw the taming of the expansive and dangerous
western frontier. Looking back at his career in 1905, Remington wrote: "I
knew the wild riders and the vacant land were about to vanish forever...and
the more I considered the subject, the bigger the forever loomed. Without
knowing how to do it, I began to record some facts around me, and the more I
looked the more the panorama unfolded."

As did his talent. His evolving clarity of purpose and the naturally vivid
subject matter inspired Remington to compulsively record the details,
producing thousands of illustrations in the course of his twenty-three year
career. Their accuracy, immediacy and drama, anchored by his equestrian
expertise, fused his functions as artist and historian.

Following his graduation from Yale's new art school in 1880, Remington roamed
the country west of the Mississippi for five years. His drawings began
appearing regularly in Harper's in 1886, answering the popular need to know
about Indian wars, wagon trains and cattle drives. He would return to the
West for three months annually for many years, aware of his mission and of
the source of his success: the crucial marriage of his "hard as nails" style
with his subject matter. One critic said that his uncompromising depiction of
the "stark reality" of Western life "gives him both his style and his
interpretation". Another said that "under a burning sun, he has worked out an
impressionism of his own". And the painter Childe Hassam wrote
enthusiastically to the artist: "You are sure to have lots of
success...Nobody else can do (these pictures)." He turned his studios into
veritable museums of Western artifacts. Theodore Roosevelt offered this blunt
praise in 1907: "He has portrayed a most characteristic and yet vanishing
type of American life." His dedication to representing the facts of the
Western experience was at the core of his endeavors, to which this country
owes its most complete, faithful and compelling portrayal of its frontier
heritage, from the most vivid, savage conflict to the lost, vast stillness of
real wilderness. - J.P.