RE: Blending values

---------

From: Rebecca Stone-Danahy (RebeccaStoneDanahy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 19:21:11 PDT

Hi Kim,
I personally don't let the students smudge with blending tortillions or tissues. I empahsize that the pencil has the point for a reason...and they need to use it. I insist that they blend the pencils (6B-6H) in such a way that the value itself is a solid range. I count off if I can see pencil lines or white spaces. I also insist that they have a full range of the brightest light to the darkest dark. Although, time consuming, until the students really learn to "see" amd mimic value ranges, their artwork is not believable. I figure that after they can match value perfectly then they can decide upon technique later. I start with value scales and basic ranges in a still life and then get down to the nitty gritty.
By the way, I teach high school. I am picky but I do get good results from them. After pencil, we proceed to colored pencil and do the same thing. Most students look forward to this as they really do want to understand how to use colored pencils accordingly.

Becky in NC