Re: ***WHERE TO COLOR? Inside or Outside of the lines????***

---------

Wizzlewolf_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 16:54:57 PDT

In a message dated 9/9/02 6:27:10 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
thetowles@yahoo.com writes:

> She
> said she 'got in trouble' because she wasn't coloring inside of the lines.
> I'm furious. Is there any justification in the education world for
> insisting that children stay within the lines?

This is so RIDICULOUS! I feel very strongly about this kind of stuff. I
suppose it is based on the reasoning of the teacher. Did you ask WHY this is
an issue or important to her teacher? I would have a heart to heart talk with
her/him to find out why this may be some kind of problem.

Something similar happened to me and my daughter years ago. When she was in
kindergarten, her class was given a collage project in which each student was
to make a snowman out of cut paper shapes. At open house, the teacher took my
arm and in a very concerned voice said she needed to show me something. She
marched me to the bulletin board and there was a line of neat little snowman
pictures. They all looked identical. Then the one on the end had the
snowballs all askew, the eyes were crooked and the hat was flying in the air.
That one belonged to my daughter. She was concerned that my daughter had
developmental problems because her work was so different. I stood there and
looked at her work and thought "COOL"! I loved that she wanted her work to be
unique and she stood her ground.
What the teacher didn't know is that my daughter had been going to art
exhibitions since she was a week old. In fact by that time, she had been in
more galleries and museums than most adults in their whole lifetime. My
daughter knew that is was OK to march to a different drummer. So I told the
teacher, my daughter is doing just fine with me.
wizzlewolf

Sheree Rensel
BFA, MFA, NBCT
<A HREF="http://www.wizzlewolf.com/rensel.html">Sheree Rensel - Artist</A>