***WHERE TO COLOR? Inside or Outside of the lines????***

---------

From: jtowle (thetowles_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 16:25:59 PDT

My 4 1/2-year old returned home from her 1st day at preschool upset. She
said she 'got in trouble' because she wasn't coloring inside of the lines.
I'm furious. Is there any justification in the education world for
insisting that children stay within the lines? The only one I can think
of is motor control... in which case 1) it shouldn't be called ART time,
and 2) a child should NOT be reprimanded.

HELP! Give me verbal ammo for this one, either direction. I really want
to justify letting her color WHEREVER on the paper she wants to...am I
'wrong'?

JT

---