start of the year displays

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 17:49:19 PDT

My first display turned out really neat, if I do say so myself. To inspire
my students, I did a big painting (4'x5') of a crayon box (named the crayon
brand after myself) with all kinds of personified crayons in it. The
painting was inspired by a story by Shane DeRolf, that I found on the
kinderart site (I posted the address a while back). The last part of the
story/poem is "We are a box of crayons, each of us unique, but when we get
together, the picture is complete." I had the students look at the
painting, then I read the story to them and we discussed its meaning. Next,
students created their own personal crayon. The only criteria were that the
crayons had to start out the same size (for display purposes) and it had to
have a face. They used markers, crayons, and construction paper collage to
create the most unique crayons. On a huge bulletin board, I have the above
quote from the story surrounded by over 600 unique crayons. It looks quite
impressive all together, and I'm getting many compliments.

Leah

---