Re: white glue batiks...have you done this?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 14:25:52 PDT

Bunki Kramer wrote:

> I have also seen these done nicely with crayon on cloth. In a nutshell...how
> were these done? Surely the paint works it's way underneath the resists
> these two ways, hummm? Or does it depend on the kind of paint you use? Not
> acrylics, please, but other paints I would like to use. Any suggestions?

Bunk,

The key to keeping the dye from spreading under the crayon resist it to
make sure the wax is hot enough to seep completely through the cloth. I
melted the crayons in muffin tins, which were set in a roasting pan of
hot water; the whole set-up is set on top of a hot plate so the water is
simmering the whole time. The students must be absolutely ready to
paint the melted crayon on when they dip their brush in. They must dip
the brush all the way to the bottom of the muffin tin where the hottest
wax is; simply dipping at the surface of the wax won't get you the hot
stuff. Hold a paper towel under the brush to prevent drips and brush it
onto the cloth (make sure it's been prewashed to remove any sizing).
They will only get 2-3 effective strokes per dip; after that the wax has
cooled too much to soak through. You will see the wax on the other
side. Another way to ensure success is to touch up the backside with
wax, also.

Also, the students need to plan their coloring sequence if they want to
take advantage of color-mixing on the cloth.

Mag

---