Re: white glue batiks...have you done this?

---------

From: artlady1 (artlady1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 13:57:55 PDT

Successfully may be the key word here
I have done batiks with flour, water and alum as the resist and then painted
them with tempra. The resist part works well, really only bled under where
we had cracked the resist. The problem is you can't rinse the resist out
because you'd wash out the tempra right along with it. So you spend a lot
of time picking the resist off the batik. I've had some awesome results
with this method and I was doing it with third graders. Don't know if the
older kids would complain about picking more or less. My students love
these and I never get one left from year to year as an example. I typically
do them on about 12" x 12" muslim squares. One year I sewed them all
together to create a giant wall hanging...we won an award in an art show for
that one. Of course, I had to take it all apart so each kid could have
theirs back
Teresa