Re: Art in School?!#*? plus art advocacy

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 11:01:57 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
>From: linda eastman <lindacharlie@wwnet.net>
>...(snip)...for starters, our usual display of student
> art work in the lobby of the school board office will be replaced by an arts
> advocacy display if anyone has had good results from art advocacy
> initiatives in your districts, would you please write in? we need some
> ideas. thanks.
> linda in michigan
***********************

For anyone doing a visual for Art Advocacy to make an impact, I can't think
of anything better than to have the kid's WORDS presenting the emotion as
well as the thought behind the arts and it's importance. For example....

To make an impact around my middle school at a time I felt I needed to, I
made a ditto with this on it..."Art is.....". I was able to get about 8 on a
sheet. I ran many copies off, cut them out in strips, and was ready the next
day for the kids. At the beginning of class (5 mins. tops) I handed out the
slips and asked each student to fill in the blank with their response. I
didn't give too many directions other than "Don't say art's fun or art
sucks." "Be as flowery as possible...like you were writing for an English
class". "The winners chosen by me will receive a candy bar".

My intention was to get one or maybe two winners for a bulletin display
header but 30 candy bars later I had a huge handful to put up everywhere in
the school. I printed out the answers in very large print and put them on
black const. paper backings. Some of the best ones of course headed straight
to the principal's office where I also hang student artwork. Everyday he got
to view those words...CONSTANTLY! (grin). Parents were also faced with these
words as they waited to talk to the principal. They went up in the office,
library, hallways, lunchroom, faculty room, faculty bathroom, you name
it...it was there! I had some left to put up in my room for back-to-school
night. The impact was more than I imagined. I also put some up on my website
which you can still view if you would like to see some of what was written.
Look under "Student Quotes".

Kids constantly surprise me with their depths of understanding and thinking.
They are your BEST advocates. Toodles....Bunki

---