Pioneer Unit

---------

From: Marcia Scurfield (mkscurfield_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 10:34:01 PDT

Grades 1 and 2 are starting off with "olden days" (pioneer), and I need
help with finding a unit to use with them - they are doing quilts in their
classroom rotation (though I could use that subject in a different way,
I suppose, I'm guessing they will do some sort of paper quilting project),
and the only other thing that comes up in my searches are apple dolls,
which sounds way too complicated and time-consuming. Any other ideas?

Yvonne Merrill at Kits Publishing has a couple books in her Hands-On series that might help you--Hands-On Pioneers and Hands-On Rocky Mountain (Anasazi, American Indians, Settlers, Trappers and Cowboys). Each book is $20 plus $3 shipping for the first book and $1 shipping each additional book. (Or no shipping charge if you pick them up at her booth at the NAEA conference!) These books are lavishly illustrated with large color photos and I would call them creative cultural crafts. She can be reached at:

info@hands-on.com

www.hands-on.com

Marcia, Derby, KS

---