Re: Art in School?!#*?

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 22:13:13 PDT

on 9/8/02 11:53 PM, Michelle Leddel at leddel_michelle@alhambra.k12.ca.us
wrote:

> When we are in battle with our colleagues about art education, think
> about--
>
> "I do not want art for a few, any more than education for a few, or
> freedom for a few."
>
> William Morris, 1877, The Lesser Arts. (Arts and Crafts Movement)

michelle, thanks for this quote. the art teachers in my district just had a
meeting where this topic came up. one of our central office administrators
made a comment to the effect that art was not a worthy center activity for
the younger grades. and an elem art teacher was confronted by one of her
colleagues who said she couldn't believe we got paid the same as classroom
teachers since all we taught was art! so much for that union solidarity soap
box i was on a couple weeks ago. we have formed a committee to inform the
school board, followed by the community at large, of the importance of an
art education for all students. for starters, our usual display of student
art work in the lobby of the school board office will be replaced by an arts
advocacy display if anyone has had good results from art advocacy
initiatives in your districts, would you please write in? we need some
ideas. thanks.
linda in michigan

ps. i've already been to the getty and NAEA websites and got some good info
off NAEA...in particular, a pdf file titled: "The Arts and Academic
Improvement: What the Research Shows"

---