RE: Digital Camera Suggestions

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 08 2002 - 06:18:10 PDT

The new ones don't have the serial numbering option? My Sony can be set
up so that it numbers pictures from 1 - 999. I've also heard stories of
people losing all their vacation photographs, because the CD failed or
was damaged in some way. If a floppy fails, I might loose 10 pictures
not all of them.

I have my "tourist/field trip" bag hanging by the front door. In it I
keep my camera, a "wallet" of 25 disks (= 250 pictures) and postit note
pad, a small spiral note pad (unlined paper), $10, and a first aid kit.

The disks are numbered. For family snapshots I just use a postit note on
the first and last disk to label them (ie - Taylor's Birthday Begins -
Taylor's Birthday ends). For some projects like a trip to the Zoo to
gather photographs of different animals for my animal life cycle unit in
science, I label the disks with categories (primates, fish, cats). I use
the notebook for more detailed notes for example Photograph number 702 -
Scientific Name of animal, diet, nocturnal, range Sub-Saharan Africa
Savanna. I also use it as a travel journal with quick sketches, written
descriptions, and random thoughts.

When I get in for the night, I upload the photographs to "My Pictures"
on the laptop. I use the postit notes to set up the files as I go. After
the pictures are on my harddrive, I reformat the floppy and stick it
back in the wallet. I back up everything to CD-ROM weekly, and make
special album CD-ROMS. I pick my favorites to print out on photo paper
and frame.

I keep a close eye on the "slider" part of the floppies if it looks worn
or slightly bent, I toss it label a new disk with that number and put it
in the wallet.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert