Re: "Western" and pioneer art projects

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 05:57:33 PDT

on 9/8/02 2:58 AM, BibelotsOutpost@aol.com at BibelotsOutpost@aol.com wrote:

> Our K-5 school is doing a school-wide "exploring new frontiers" theme...
> Grades 1 and 2 are starting off with "olden days" (pioneer), and I need
> help with finding a unit to use with them

deborah, you mentioned pueblo storytellers which is great to do w/ the young
ones. make pinch pot bodies, a ball for the head and coil arms. the "kids"
can be made from a small coil, and a plastic knife...cut half way up the
coil for 2 legs, and 2 slices on the sides for arms; a little squeeze at the
neck and you've got a "kid." they are always adorable. i have them use clear
glaze on terra cotta or stoneware clay and then sharpees to add faces and
maybe a little design.

another thing to do with 4th and up is cornhusk dolls. pioneer children
learned how to make these from the native americans. also corn dollies,
which are not dolls at all but wheat woven in patterns to make harvest type
decorations. i'm sure pioneer craft books would have directions.

with 3rd grade i've done landscapes using native american villages as the
subject matter. the Take 5 series of landscapes has a mandan village
reproduction (george catlin, maybe?) which we use for an art history lesson.
then i give them xeroxes of all kinds of other indian dwellings such as
plains tribes' teepees, iroquois long houses (i think), and some others.
then they do a drawing using perspective devices (overlapping, diminishing
size, etc.)

linda in michigan

---