Re: Foil Figures

---------

From: linda eastman (lindacharlie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 01:53:46 PDT

if you have the book "sculpture as experience" there are directions in
there. but here's how i've done it:
use two sheets of regular (not heavy duty) 12" foil approx. 15" long. (not
critical, just rip). put one on top of the other (2 layers). from the top 2
corners and the bottom center cut a "y" leaving about 2"-3" uncut where the
3 lines intersect. usually i have the kids "draw this in w/ a finger nail
first, putting their fist in the middle where you don't cut. from there you
can see that the triangle at the top will become the head, the two points on
either side - the arms, and the two bottom sections - the legs.

have them GENTLY squeeze the middle part together to form the waist. caution
them to be careful not to "lose" the arms and legs when they do this, and
not too tight or they will have one really skinny dude. then GENTLY squeeze
the arms and legs. to give the head extra stability, i fold the 2 top
corners down to the chest before squeezing the head into a ball. form hands
and feet last.
 have some extra strips of foil handy for "the emergency room." if the body
splits up the middle, wrap a foil "belt" around it. if the head detaches,
use a strip about 2" wide x 6" long, put the head in the middle and squeeze
the extra foil around the body.
have fun with the rest! what are you going to do with them?

linda in michigan

on 9/8/02 12:01 AM, Cathy Thomas at jtktkt@flash.net wrote:

> I want to make aluminum foil figures with my third grade class. I would
> like advise on how to construct the human figure out of foil. Any
> suggestions or lesson plan would be appreciated. Thanks Cathy

---