van gogh horses

---------

From: brenda robson (bruthrobson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 08:51:22 PDT

 I found the lesson I was looking for the other day in my files.
It was done at Cathedral Arts.
I love it.
 The kids have drawn a horse using the grid method. Now I am asking for
advise on how to proceed.
  The lesson calls for drawing the horse on manila paper, coloring them
with dry medium and then cutting out and putting them on black paper with
Van Gogh starry night oil pastel stars behind.
  It looks great but I want something a little more sophisticated(not cut
out) although that may be my only alternative.
  I thought about transfering them to pastel paper with graphite paper and
doing the horse in prismacolor and then the background in oil pastel but
then you don't get the contrast of the whiteish horse on the blackish
background because it's hard to get a really bright white on dark paper if
its a large area.
 Then I thought about transfering them and masking them on watercolor
paper with rubber cement (because we have a ton of that stuff) and masking
some stars and swirls and painting a dark background while dropping in
color and salt. It sounds great but the rubber cement isn't guaranteed to
cover very well. Then I read you can color a subject with white crayon,
do a dark watercolor background, then iron off the color while picking it
up with kleenex. Has anyone had good results with this form of masking?
 Maybe I should just use a light colored blue construction paper with the
horse done in light colored pastel pencils (I really want the horses to
have definition and detail) and work pretty thick in the background with
regular dark and light pastels?
  I'm just afraid that anything we do in the background is going to mess
up our horse.
  Could anyone write back that have suggestions? I need to figure this
out before next week because some are ready to proceed.
Mach thanks,
Brenda RObson

---