Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Perspective drawing in 7th/8th grade

Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 07:13:31 PDT

In a message dated 9/7/02 8:29:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, writes:

> SOMEWHERE there is research that shows there is a developmental window of
> opportunity for teaching the 5th grade

Yes, and I have done it in 5th with a 3-D method called a triarama. It takes
a 12" square of construction paper folded in quarters. A slit is made down
one fold and the ends are pulled to form a sort of "stage" with 2 walls.
When they see the 3-D version, they disassemble it, color in the background
theme they want on the walls. Then the kids design pop-up scenes in front of
the 2 "walls," keeping in mind that things closer are larger.
Of course, I have done atmospheric perspective (things get smaller and less
intense in distance) with the kids in 4th so they already have the background

From this, they are somehow able to grasp one point, perspective.