Re: Perspective drawing in 7th/8th grade

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 05:37:58 PDT

Maggie,
        I'm sure there is a portion of "work ethic/enthusiasm" that causes
some students to "barely get it". Yet I suspect that a larger factor is that
they are just not ready for it, yet. I feel it's mostly a developmental thing.
Also some students just can't seem to see it. They may be very smart and
cooperative in many other areas but spacial/visual may not be their strength.
Last week my eight graders began constructing geometric solids. One of
the
schools best students struggled away but just could not do it. He transferred
to the band class yesterday. His frustration may have been a factor. I'm not
saying don't teach it, I'm just saying be understanding of the portion
of the
class that is struggling. They can get really frustrated when others get
it
quickly and they watch as others then zip right through it.
                                                        Woody in KC
        Also, as a painter myself, I tend to introduce formal linear perspective
until late. I believe it tightens up the compositions too much. If you
teach it
they want to use it and have difficulty seeing the balance in all
things. I could
be wrong, this is just the advice of an old teacher here.

--
This one soars:
Fantastic Triplet Grandkids: