plaster face masks

---------

From: Deborah Gilbert (dngart1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 13:21:12 PDT

carolyn wrote:

> Second, years ago I used to do plaster cloth masks directly on the face =
> of my students. Now that I am back teaching art at the high school level =
> and while looking at art supply catalogs I noticed that plaster is no =
> longer recommended for direct skin contact. Has health issues developed?

I don't know about health issues but I have done plaster gauze facemasks
with my 5th graders for many years now. I have them grease their faces with
vasoline and then cover that with plastic wrap (except for the nose). The
masks come off great and there is never a problem with the plaster being
right on the skin!!

Deborah in Colorado

---