Re: Help ! Kiln Unusable

---------

LMiller435_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Sep 05 2002 - 18:59:39 PDT

In a message dated 09/05/2002 9:49:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
thetowles@yahoo.com writes:

> If you live in a rural area, go collect dry dung patties. They make
> excellent fuel for slow hot burning. Surround pots with dung (& wood and
> paper to get it started). cover with pot shards after it is burning well.

For many years I've done an outdoor sawdust firing with my third graders. We
build a kiln of brick in someone's back yard, who can remain there all day
and watch it. My horse provides plenty of dried manure for high carbon
content to turn the pots black. The children make a ceremony of "stacking "
the kiln with layers of sawdust, pots, manure, and lighting it and covering
it with a steel plate. Some of our firings lasted one day, some three.

The pots come out with a lustrous multihued black, sort of like oil slick
colors.

These are low fired. They seem to be even lower than cone 015. I've never
measured the heat.

Leslie in Framingham, MA

---