thanks-plaster-curriculmn

---------

From: Carolyn Keigley (Carolyn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 19:59:08 PDT

First, I'd like to thank all of you out there for this educational site! I am learning so much from all of you.
Second, years ago I used to do plaster cloth masks directly on the face of my students. Now that I am back teaching art at the high school level and while looking at art supply catalogs I noticed that plaster is no longer recommended for direct skin contact. Has health issues developed?
Thirdly, My district's course Art I is centered on art history projects vs focusing on teaching the elements and principles of art. It seems to me that it would be better to teach the students the language of art first in art I and then focus on art history in following courses, or teach art history courses in an integrated manner, using art history as examples - such as color/impressionism or value/mannerism, etc. What do you think?
Thanks for any response.
Carolyn

---