sending the artist off

---------

From: Karen Chilman (ChilArt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 20:04:13 PDT

I wanted to update some of you of the happenings of one of my students. Last spring I asked you all of some creative ways to obtain funding for a student that was accepted to Interlochen Arts Academy. I am not sure if I let you all know that we did get the money - and for all three years that she will be there! An anonymous source came through! (See the world isn't such a bad place!)
I sent her off today. It is like my own child going off to school. (And my own son did turn 13 today!) She will be a sophomore in high school, ten hours from home. Another teacher friend drove her up there with her best friend.
I'm so proud of her for being gutsy enough to try and then follow through. She is going to learn amazing things but better yet... be around some other amazing kids more like herself.

---