what to do with study hall

---------

From: Marian Colman (colmans1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 02:57:22 PDT

Mike,
We have study hall but call it "Directed Learning". It is only grades 7 &
8. (I'm in a 7-12 school and my duty is 2 "Directed Learnings" out of a 7
day rotation). The best advice I can give you is to: DON'T SMILE--BE MEAN
AND BE STRICT. The first year I did it I was kind and sweet and wanted to
befriend all the kids. ( that's the way I really am). Boy did they take
advantage of that! I did nothing but watch and discipline the whole time I
was in there. I NEVER got any of my own work done. Well, this past year I
changed my tune and what a difference it made. I told the students they
MUST have work out or I would give them work to do which would have to be
handed in to me at the end of the period ( writing from a Scholastic Art
magazine). If they didn't do it, it would be a detention with me after
school to clean the art room. I do not allow them to talk. If they do:
detention. I only allow one at a time to go to the bathroom. They must
raise their hand and come to my desk wothout saying anything. The end
result is that I got all my grading of written work ( ceramic critiques
which I have alot of) done during those periods. I used to dread Directed
Learning, now I look forward to it because I know it will be a productive
period for me.
Good luck,
Marian

---